Recent Topics

Ads

I'm new to blackguard tank, whats my role in pvp?

Swarms of Destruction can annihilate any line of defence. Destruction players look no further! Guild advertisements are posted here.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Bloodtau

I'm new to blackguard tank, whats my role in pvp?

Post#1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:54 pm

As someone who always plays DPS, I thought i'd finally switch things up and I created a blackguard.
I am looking for some tips to being useful in PVP with him. For example, whats my role in pvp? do I pressure their healers?, protect my own? harass their dps?
Also, Sword and board is the way to go yes? stat wise, do I stack nothing but defensive stats, or is things such as strength, weapon skill etc as important?
What about guard etc? Are these solely for placing on healers or do I need to switch it around as combat goes on?

Ads
Ototo

Re: I'm new to blackguard tank, whats my role in pvp?

Post#2 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:46 pm

Bloodtau wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:54 pm As someone who always plays DPS, I thought i'd finally switch things up and I created a blackguard.
I am looking for some tips to being useful in PVP with him. For example, 1. whats my role in pvp? 2. do I pressure their healers?, 3. protect my own? 4. harass their dps?
Also, 5. Sword and board is the way to go yes? 6. stat wise, do I stack nothing but defensive stats, or 7. is things such as strength, weapon skill etc as important?
8. What about guard etc? 9. Are these solely for placing on healers or do I need to switch it around as combat goes on?
1. Using your skill to protect, buff, and help your team. Using your skills to debuff and pressure the enemy team.

2. If you can, yeah. Just not your solely job or a main focus. In general any glass class that gets isolated should be focused, leaving tanks for the last. Just punt tanks away so they no longer can guard.

3. Always, but not in spite of a crumbling front line. Your main job is to keep the red thin line that protects everybody behind you safe. Double points if you manage to be so annoying or present that the enemy team attacks you instead of your team.

4. Read 3 and 2.

5. While leveling in RvR above level 16 and for big fights, yes. BGs have an inherent synergy with 2h weapons, and when you have enough level, experience and mastery of the class, and for small scale like scenarios or roaming parties, it's just normal to go 2h to exploit the full potential of the class, that is a caster-killer offensive tank.

6. Is recommended, yeah. Try for Chances to be Critical Hit at around -5%. Below zero you can't see it in the character sheet, so use the command .getstats to know your real numbers, and/or start the guessing game. Buy the renown skill called Futile Strikes and get around 250 initiative in order to do so.

7. Given your very specific offensive role, only strength is really important. Your main targets are casters, classes that usually have next to zero armor, so Weapon Skill is kind of a waste of a stat for you.

8. Very important and one of your main roles. Learn to use it and switch it. Also Hold the Line and Dark Protector are very powerful buffs.

9. Healers should not be in range of your guard, 30ft, and the front line unless that your meles are doing something stupidly wrong like pressing incredibly deep, or that your team is wasting an opportunity to pressure and they try to position themselves further ahead so you notice the chance. Your normal day would be guarding a mele DPS or even other tank. The key here is the range of the skill more than anything else.

If you have been DPS, you have seen tanks doing their job. Repeat what you saw was successful. Sounds stupidly simple, but it's the way it is.
Spoiler:

Bloodtau

Post#3 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:46 pm

That's a great answer, thank you very much :)

Tanski

Post#4 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:01 pm

I would reccomend to go snb and learn the basics such as guard range (tether helps a lot), challenge, HTL, etc. You need top end gear and renown before 2h becomes a viable option tbh. As a 2h bg you can expect to crit+wounds debuff and provide aoe slow to a wb. In 6mans you have all the tools you need in the forms of debuffs, superpunt, heal debuff, wp debuff, armor shred etc. SNB BG doesnt offer as much as a BO or Chosen in terms of group utility, but you can buff armor, reduce crit chance, dmg taken, buff willpower, buff str, provide a meaty shield to your dark protector. SNB bg also provdes khaines warding, which is a broken morale in funnels and pretty much gurantees noone in your party will die for 10 seconds. A key to learning bg is dp swapping so you can maximize your hatred, which will boost the power of your abilities. Another thing bg provide is really fantastic aoe dmg for a tank, which i think people overlook.
75+ BG
80 Choppa/slyer
80 wl
70 + sm
70 bw/sorc
80 wh, we
60 sham/am

Tanski

Post#5 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:02 pm

I would reccomend to go snb and learn the basics such as guard range (tether helps a lot), challenge, HTL, etc. You need top end gear and renown before 2h becomes a viable option tbh. As a 2h bg you can expect to crit+wounds debuff and provide aoe slow to a wb. In 6mans you have all the tools you need in the forms of debuffs, superpunt, heal debuff, wp debuff, armor shred etc. SNB BG doesnt offer as much as a BO or Chosen in terms of group utility, but you can buff armor, reduce crit chance, dmg taken, buff willpower, buff str, provide a meaty shield to your dark protector. SNB bg also provdes khaines warding, which is a broken morale in funnels and pretty much gurantees noone in your party will die for 10 seconds. A key to learning bg is dp swapping so you can maximize your hatred, which will boost the power of your abilities. Another thing bg provide is really fantastic aoe dmg for a tank, which i think people overlook.
75+ BG
80 Choppa/slyer
80 wl
70 + sm
70 bw/sorc
80 wh, we
60 sham/am

Akilinus

Post#6 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:04 pm

Beastlord and conq/dominator is enough for 2h
Kkomrade 80 Zealot Akilinuz 80 Chosen Zaiyer 80 Marauder
Kkomrades 80 Black Guard Sauer 80 Squig herder Nosler 80 Witch Elf Soniq 70 Shaman

thefryinallofus

Post#7 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:27 pm

Akilinus wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:04 pm Beastlord and conq/dominator is enough for 2h

But bloodlord is glorious... if you want to invest the time.
Bloodroote (78 DOK) | Blackroot (81 BG) | Shadowroot (73 SORC)

Lime

Post#8 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:24 am

How to play tank.

#1: Guard dps

#2: Assist dps

#3: See other tank guarding enemy punt him like football and kill his dps.

If black orc/SM ignore step #3 and possibly step #1.
Limey: 83 Knight Limeyx: 77 BG

Ads
toffikx

Post#9 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:51 am

Lime wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:24 am How to play tank.

#1: Guard dps

#2: Assist dps

#3: See other tank guarding enemy punt him like football and kill his dps.

If black orc/SM ignore step #3 and possibly step #1.
Your advice for SM/BO players is to not use guard? :?