Magus - the most unwanted class?

Swarms of Destruction can annihilate any line of defence. Destruction players look no further! Guild advertisements are posted here.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Code of Conduct
HammerGuy

Re: Magus - the most unwanted class?

Post#11 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:32 pm

Magus can do respectable aoe or single-target damage. It's also very self-sufficient. It doesn't need a guard nor does it need the focus of a healer. It's like a witch elf.

Unfortunately the volunteers haven't gotten around to making the magus desirable to WBs in the current meta. To make matters worse they removed the range from the pink horror and cone of fire won't allow you to dot something behind you while you run. On top of that, they made shroud of magnus make WHs immune to even undefendable attacks (like Bolt of Change).

Magus is not wanted in a WB and it's slowly losing its edge on the small scale scene.

Ads
Gunlinger

Post#12 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:23 pm

What both classes need is to seperate the dmg buff from the stay near the pet mechanic. so that having a pet active becomes optional for extra dmg. That way those 2 classes would be able to really be part of the warband and be usefull in the fast moving fights

Zxul

Post#13 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:10 pm

HammerGuy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:32 pm Magus can do respectable aoe or single-target damage.
Ok, so how as magus do you do aoe comparable to choppa? Or say to sorc spamming Shattering Shadows with CQ + Piercing Shadows + Frozen Touch?
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

HammerGuy

Post#14 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:26 pm

Zxul wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:10 pm
HammerGuy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:32 pm Magus can do respectable aoe or single-target damage.
Ok, so how as magus do you do aoe comparable to choppa? Or say to sorc spamming Shattering Shadows with CQ + Piercing Shadows + Frozen Touch?
Put on daemonic contract. Use glean magic, pandemonium, Tzeentch's firestorm, infernal blast, and daemonic lash. Every aoe, other than firestorm can be used while moving. Glean magic has the added benefit of reducing the target's spirit resistances. While the firestorm adds a 20% snare to everyone affected.

It shouldn't beat out a choppa nor a sorc, if they've got heals and guard. The magus doesn't need the same level of support though. A magus requires 85% less heals and protection to do 85% of the damage of a sorc.

Zxul

Post#15 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:53 pm

HammerGuy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:26 pm
Zxul wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:10 pm
Put on daemonic contract. Use glean magic, pandemonium, Tzeentch's firestorm, infernal blast, and daemonic lash. Every aoe, other than firestorm can be used while moving. Glean magic has the added benefit of reducing the target's spirit resistances. While the firestorm adds a 20% snare to everyone affected.

It shouldn't beat out a choppa nor a sorc, if they've got heals and guard. The magus doesn't need the same level of support though. A magus requires 85% less heals and protection to do 85% of the damage of a sorc.
And with all that, you won't do 85% of the dmg of the sorc in the above setup. Not to mention, chosen resist aura provides aoe resists debuff- less than Glean, but still meaning Glean adding less dmg than what you would expect. Not to mention, magus doesn't provides proc buff to rest of party- sorc does. Also, magus doesn't requires 85% less heals than a sorc- sorc self dmg is 750 per 3 gcds, single hot will take care of that. And why wouldn't a premade wb have guard+ heals?
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Rotgut

Post#16 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:23 am

Zxul wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:10 pm And why wouldn't a premade wb have guard+ heals?
Cuz then you can make a 1 tank 2 rdps 1 mdps 2 healers group. Increases your WB's dmg overall.

I still think Engis and Magus are on the weaker side, but i don't think the issue is the class itself, but the current state of the game where more burst dmg trumps everything else. We can't have a class that can deal as much or more dmg than a mDPS but from 85ft away, that's not balanced. Back when we had turret/demon buffs, they would top Scoreboards by A LOT. Super broken. It just wasn't talked about cuz only half a dozen people on the server would play them correctly.

What we should have are debuffs, CCs or synergy that only those classes can bring, and make that their main feature. Like what Meat does during NA, he does pitiful dmg, but the lakes are small enough that his Magnet playstyle can have insane impact - he rushes in, Turret Stuns your melee line then Landmines your healers (and since its not blobwarfare™ they don't get instantly attacked and their CC broken). Its fun, skillful and engaging game play imo. It sure is a lot better than spin to win aoe ungabunga.

geezereur

Post#17 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:56 am

I would love to have the old pet buffs back like more range when you use pink horror or faster dot ticks with flamer etc.

HammerGuy

Post#18 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:54 pm

Rotgut wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:23 am I still think Engis and Magus are on the weaker side, but i don't think the issue is the class itself, but the current state of the game where more burst dmg trumps everything else. We can't have a class that can deal as much or more dmg than a mDPS but from 85ft away, that's not balanced. Back when we had turret/demon buffs, they would top Scoreboards by A LOT. Super broken. It just wasn't talked about cuz only half a dozen people on the server would play them correctly.

What we should have are debuffs, CCs or synergy that only those classes can bring, and make that their main feature. Like what Meat does during NA, he does pitiful dmg, but the lakes are small enough that his Magnet playstyle can have insane impact - he rushes in, Turret Stuns your melee line then Landmines your healers (and since its not blobwarfare™ they don't get instantly attacked and their CC broken). Its fun, skillful and engaging game play imo. It sure is a lot better than spin to win aoe ungabunga.
I agree that the class should offer something to the group/WB. Make the pets act as an aura. Pink horror could be a crit rate increase. Blue horror could be a cast time reducer. Flamer could be an incoming damage reduction.

It doesn't have to be anything over the top. It just needs to be something that makes people look at the class deeper than purely damage.

Ads
Doom123

Post#19 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:25 pm

I see the sentiment about Magus being on the weak side does exist, still wont really stop me from playing it tho, being the class that I like the most.

Even with all of the AoE and path of changing focus I do feel like I am tickling more than hurting tbh, I just realized how the flamer no longer buffs DoTs like it used to... been a long time since I played...

Hopefully some love is given to this class, not anything crazy but just enough so my AoE is worth its slot in a warband.

nebelwerfer

Post#20 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:16 am

A nice start would be to buff the frontal aoe dot to the same extent that choppa/slayers frontal aoe dot got buffed.

Idk these names for destro classes, but for engineer it's spanner swipe that should be buffed to slayers onslaught.

Edit: the buff was an additional tick on application and another thing i cant remember atm. Was something like reduction of frequency of ticks i thiiink, so they hit harder.