Recent Topics

Ads

3rd defense strategy

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
anarchypark

3rd defense strategy

Post#1 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:23 pm

there's not many who understand this strategy. so here's why you do it.
it's like 300 mission. you're going to die.
your wb have 2 tanks 2 heal 20 dps with 120+ aao. 2tanks are 2h. healers under 40.
do you see how desperate the situation is?
there's no way you can stop main + postern push. or 3way lord room.
that's when you go 3rd. only 1 entrance that can be blocked by 2~3 tanks.
kill as many as you can b4 wipe. aao kills are worth than 0

fort is same. you have no chance against 50+ enemies. unless you're full sov discord 2-2-2 wb trained by guild.
it's a choice : wipe at first push and afk in jail. or stay 3rd till end and kill remaining rear force.

it's all about kill b4 die. certain death situation.
bottom defense is for 2-2-2 wb. know yourself first then your enemy.

now here's more subtle strategy.
when you are at 3rd with 2-2-2 wb. if tanks know how to block path, how to prevent punt( angle and wall etc )
you can hold against 1wb easily.
and another enemy wb should be at lord. or at least 1 6man.
lastly, if there's 6~12 ally pushing at bottom, enemy need bottom wb.
that's approximately 3 enemy wb spliting at top, lord, bottom.
you are 1wb top, 0.5 wb at bottom. you can hold against 100+ aao

imagine disoriented pug yelling 'push top', 'funnel bottom', 'inc' etc
and organised grps exchange intels.
it's all about communication between realm.

some might say that you can hold bottom with 1.5wb against 3wb.
true, it's again 'know yourself first then your enemy'
wb composition, gears, lvl, disciplined. you and enemy.
gather all the information and call it. 3rd or bottom.
plz don't mistake your pug wb as guild wb.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Ads
BeautfulToad

Re: 3rd defense strategy

Post#2 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:25 pm

anarchypark wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:23 pm it's a choice : wipe at first push and afk in jail. or stay 3rd till end and kill remaining rear force.

3rd floor fort defence is really building morals and then trying to push them off the lord when lord hits 20-30%. It can sometimes work.

anarchypark

Post#3 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:32 pm

BeautfulToad wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:25 pm
anarchypark wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:23 pm it's a choice : wipe at first push and afk in jail. or stay 3rd till end and kill remaining rear force.

3rd floor fort defence is really building morals and then trying to push them off the lord when lord hits 20-30%. It can sometimes work.

sometimes? you just do whatever you want and leave it to the luck? that's not strategy.
knowing that you can wipe 120 enemy with 80 or not, that's what you need b4 call it.

BeautfulToad

Post#4 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:35 pm

anarchypark wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:32 pm sometimes? you just do whatever you want and leave it to the luck? that's not strategy.
knowing that you can wipe 120 enemy with 80 or not, that's what you need b4 call it.
I think you used to have some mechanics like poison, so you would time the moral bomb when they the big aoe effects trigger.

No strategy works 100% but I saw us push the attackers off the lord, retreat back to 3rd and then fail to do it again.

Lord defences in keeps are risky but you dont funnel doors, you group melee at stairs behind the lord, with rdps + healers on stairs. I've seen it succeed but usually people dont really understand how it works, and you need discipline not to push too hard from the stairs, so you need quite good level of organisation to pull it off.

zulnam

Post#5 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:47 pm

It's a very fun strategy to do when your side is too weak to hold 2nd. If there is an oWB up there you might even wipe them.

Last time i tried it we got 100+ kills since the enemy didn't commit to a push until the boss went down, so we kept killing those who were trying to hold/push the stairs.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

NSKaneda

Post#6 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:03 pm

As much as I enjoy a well written guide I've only seen three successful 3rd floor defences in the past 5 years.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

meatcpu

Post#7 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:36 pm

Full disclosure, I'm a "die on the first floor person". I've never seen a successful one. I'd rather be ranking a keep that might be won later than worrying about how many kills we can get before we lose.

Why does the line break on 3rd, and how can it be avoided? It's one door. Is there a trick to breaking front lines beyond "morale bomb"? Positioning on 3rd is weird. A lot of them have these places for ranged to stand that are underutilized.

We say "build morale", but what does that mean? What's not obvious at first is that means "don't die at all until the push". It doesn't matter if I rez you. You lost all that potential damage/def etc.

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#8 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:27 pm

The real question is....why (TF) you want to (sucesful) defend a fort?

Ads
anarchypark

Post#9 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:06 pm

success is killing b4 die in 100+ aao inevitable death situation.
but i know majority don't share this perspective.
we are mere pawns in the grand scale war. but some ppl die if die in the game.
Last edited by anarchypark on Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

NSKaneda

Post#10 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:50 pm

emiliorv wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:27 pm The real question is....why (TF) you want to (sucesful) defend a fort?

Because it's your fort to defend, obviously.

To treat it otherwise begets a question: why fight at all?
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *