Recent Topics

Ads

Need help figuring out a class that is fun and desirable in groups.

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
Daynar

Need help figuring out a class that is fun and desirable in groups.

Post#1 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:18 am

Hello, I have been trying to make an informed decision before I commit to fully leveling and gearing any specific class, but it is really difficult to find up to date information. It seems like I always see something about a class being great, then I find a more recent post saying they are trash after nerfs. It seems like almost everything is outdated in some way and it is difficult to tell what the current state of the game is.

Anyway I am trying to decide on what to play. My main 2 concerns are that I want something that is fun and desirable in groups. Since fun is subjective I am going to define it as active game play where your actions feel impactful.

I've messed around a bit with several classes so far. One of the things I really like is that tanks are actually useful. However, I found that I didn't really do much in most RvR. Just sat there holding the line while we wait for the door to drop. I also tried healing, and while I think I will level up a healer as an alt I don't think I want a healer to be my main. This also seems like it is very much a team game so I would like something that won't have trouble finding groups.

All of the classes I have tried so far are destro (DoK, Mara, BO) but if there is something better order I don't mind switching.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide!

Ads
Gladiolix

Re: Need help figuring out a class that is fun and desirable in groups.

Post#2 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:48 am

As a tank or healer you will never have problem finding a group. On either side. Fun is too subjective to answer without knowing more of your preferences.
LEGION OF PERKELE
Shaman - Gladiolix (rr86)
Black Orc - Oomiestompa (rr85)
Squig Herder - Bluglog (rr85)
Choppa - Poliisi (rr84)

KoBS rr70+, BW rr70+, WP rr60+

DaWolf

Post#3 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:05 am

^This. Tanks or Healers are the good choice to begin with.
For destro (I don't know enough Order ;))
- Tank : Chosen
- Heal : Zealot
Are my personal choices.

Toggle

Post#4 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:41 am

Daynar wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:18 am Hello, I have been trying to make an informed decision before I commit to fully leveling and gearing any specific class, but it is really difficult to find up to date information. It seems like I always see something about a class being great, then I find a more recent post saying they are trash after nerfs. It seems like almost everything is outdated in some way and it is difficult to tell what the current state of the game is.

Anyway I am trying to decide on what to play. My main 2 concerns are that I want something that is fun and desirable in groups. Since fun is subjective I am going to define it as active game play where your actions feel impactful.

I've messed around a bit with several classes so far. One of the things I really like is that tanks are actually useful. However, I found that I didn't really do much in most RvR. Just sat there holding the line while we wait for the door to drop. I also tried healing, and while I think I will level up a healer as an alt I don't think I want a healer to be my main. This also seems like it is very much a team game so I would like something that won't have trouble finding groups.

All of the classes I have tried so far are destro (DoK, Mara, BO) but if there is something better order I don't mind switching.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide!
Going for a tank/healer is a decent suggestion, and it will make it easier to get groups. But since you said you are more interested in a tank, I provided the "meta" ranking below, as I understand it in the current state of the game.

Current thinking for tanks (and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) ranked in order of desirability - KotBS/Chosen, SM/BO, IB/BG

I can't really address the "fun" because, like you said, it's objective. Some people say that even though KotBS/Chosen are great tanks, they are super boring to play. I happen to enjoy playing mine. Bottom line - a tank that is played correctly will always be active and impactful when there's a fight.
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

Daynar

Post#5 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:16 pm

It looks like the consensus is Chosen or (KotBS if I decide to try order) My main concern with that is that I have seen people say it is a simple and easy class. So far I don't mind the stance dancing Marauder or changa da plan with BO. I assume it is just that Chosen lacks the extra complexity layer? At what point does Chosen unlock the core of their kit/what level do I need to get to before I can make a proper judgement over if the play style is for me?

Uncas23

Post#6 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:28 am

I had/have the same considerations as you, only in order.
I ended up picking kotbs and leveled it up to rr54. It is indeed a bit boring. For a long time I digged the skills to figure out "what do I actually do in a fight". Now I realized that mostly nothing. There is a single target knockdown, snare and a punt. Ok, I spam these but it feels so useless in the chaos of big fights. On tanks I just miss these or they are immune.
The role of a kotbs is to just exist as an aura and a buffer bettween the actually useful classes and the enemy. Don't get me wrong, it's necessary. Your team indeed crumbless if there are no tanks in the frontline but when I chose a HEAVY TANK I didn't expect to be the most support guy on the battlefield. Another consideration is that your role is kind of "ezoteric". Sometimes I get a good slayer in my group, I guard him, lierally just follow him and do nothing else and I get super high contribution. Other times I try to be a real tank, push into the enemy, lead the charge. I'm lierally the first guy who pushes through the funnel of the enemy. Afterthe fight I get "small" contribution.
Sometimes people demand specific auras, sometimes they yell at you for using your only more involved skill, the aoe stagger, sometimes they yell at you for guards. I heard that chosen can be more of an independent class but it's probably similar.

BluIzLucky

Post#7 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:06 am

Feels like you just ask /ad..
what does a Dok healer do? Spam group heal
What does a BO do? Take guard and HtL.
What does Mara do? Spam 2 AoEs.

And then stuck with doing that for 40 lvls.
Did you try them all as dps, hybrid, utility and tanky? Have you tried them solo and in roam? In Scenarios? PvE?

You might enjoy other classes for sure (especially if you have an affinity for the looks), but at lot of it will probably come from how you play, rather than the class you play
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

DaWolf

Post#8 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:48 pm

That's just the job of the tank.
Guard bot, yes, but know how to switch at the right time his guard because one or the other of the dps take a lot of damage. Saving a healer with a good guard at the right time too.
Advance in the enemy lines, stagger the healers, come back on the tanks, punt a guardbot to let the DPS take down an enemy DPS. Come back to put pressure on the back lines.
Switching auras too, it's a bit slow, but it can be done too. Return of damage against a BW/Sorc.
Interrupt a cast, put a debuff, assist your DPS, be careful with immunities

And survive ! :D

Yeah, like a healer, a good tank, has a lot of things to do at the same time, a lot of things to watch out for.

Ads
Gargis

Post#9 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:01 pm

Easy; go DOK or WP. Why? Because they can go heal spec to fit in ORVR wbs well when you are low RR and don’t have good gear yet.

As you lvl RR, get gear in both pvp and pve, more spec and play styles open up.

At mid to high RR, you can be a caster healer, melee healer with good dps, or dps-though not as strong as a chopper or slayer.

At high RR, you can do all three specs well and have very good synergy in small man play.

Phantasm

Post#10 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:30 pm

Uncas23 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:28 am I had/have the same considerations as you, only in order.
I ended up picking kotbs and leveled it up to rr54. It is indeed a bit boring. For a long time I digged the skills to figure out "what do I actually do in a fight". Now I realized that mostly nothing. There is a single target knockdown, snare and a punt. Ok, I spam these but it feels so useless in the chaos of big fights. On tanks I just miss these or they are immune.
The role of a kotbs is to just exist as an aura and a buffer bettween the actually useful classes and the enemy. Don't get me wrong, it's necessary. Your team indeed crumbless if there are no tanks in the frontline but when I chose a HEAVY TANK I didn't expect to be the most support guy on the battlefield. Another consideration is that your role is kind of "ezoteric". Sometimes I get a good slayer in my group, I guard him, lierally just follow him and do nothing else and I get super high contribution. Other times I try to be a real tank, push into the enemy, lead the charge. I'm lierally the first guy who pushes through the funnel of the enemy. Afterthe fight I get "small" contribution.
Sometimes people demand specific auras, sometimes they yell at you for using your only more involved skill, the aoe stagger, sometimes they yell at you for guards. I heard that chosen can be more of an independent class but it's probably similar.
RoR/WaR trinity design is many times confusing to new players. Tanks as archetypes are primary debuffers. They mitigate damage done to allies. Thats their primary goal. Rest is just secondary.
Guard - mitigate 50% dmg to person u guard,
Challenge - mitigate 30% to allies around you,
Morale 2 (Distracting Bellow) - mitigate 50% damage done to your allies - and that stack with all above.
Knockdown, punts, roots - they can mitigate 100% damage if you disable right classes in right times.

People suggest Chosen/Ktbs because they have simple class mechanic and straight foward skills - so they are great classes to learn tank gameplay. Simply you got time to focus on learning what, when and how to do using archetype skills.
BO/SM got special mechanic stance, which makes tank duty a bit complicated sometimes.
BG/IB, they buff mainly its companion, not like other tanks - whole party so they are less demanded.

If you master guard, challenge, bellows and hard CC skills you can play any tank.

You make greater impact - and therefore contribution, on battlefield with guarding and "enabling" decent dps class, then doing damage and havoc on your own.