Recent Topics

Ads

New here - Exploring Classes

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
RPGrandPa

New here - Exploring Classes

Post#1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:17 pm

So, I started playing this game today, I want to explore the classes/eaces and such. Was looking at some older videos and was wondering - I saw a raid where someone was playing a melee type class using some type of Polearm. Does Destruct have a melee class that specializes in polearms? Could it be a Blackguard simply using a two-handed weapon?

Ads
Phattsy

Re: New here - Exploring Classes

Post#2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 pm

That's right! Blackguard are able to use polearms, or glaives, to devastating results. It's definitely a bit more involved than other tank classes, but a well-played BG can absolutely wreck during battle.

RPGrandPa

Post#3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:14 pm

What makes it complicated? I currently still play Dark Age of Camelot and mostly played support Healers and sometimes Casters. Never been big on melee classes but this one interested me. The attack style animation looked pretty badass hehe and might be I try something out of element this time around. Would a BG be too hard for someone brand new like myself to start with?

Golaz

Post#4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:21 pm

They have a lot of abilities + a few mechanics to keep track of like hatred and dark protector. Lots of buttons to push at the rights times. It's one of the more complicated tank classes in game.

RPGrandPa

Post#5 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:40 am

Well damn, found what appears to be interesting class and it is the hardest class in the game lol go figure :(

Rhinochild

Post#6 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:24 am

Note - Blackguard is a tank that can use a 2h weapon, not a pure mdps class.
Hamskull, Hamdisc, Hamblek, Hamball, Hambean, Hambeam, etc

Farrul

Post#7 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:09 am

RPGrandPa wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:40 am Well damn, found what appears to be interesting class and it is the hardest class in the game lol go figure :(
Don't be intimidated. BG while complex isn't the hardest or rather most annoying tank class to play, that title belongs to the Ironbreaker(too short duration oath buffs, GCD starved, has to slot rising anger tactic, BG gets it for free )

If you want to try/play BG then do it, as an enterily new player practice to level 30ish doing scenarios with the easiest tank class(Chosen on destro) and get used to basic addons for the task(enemy, teather etc).

RPGrandPa

Post#8 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:12 pm

Shifting classes a bit, I've been reading a little. Concerning the Disciple of Khaine - For solo pvp, could this class be speced where it has solid DPS 1v1 pvp plus can heal himself after a fight? I'mj not sure if this class can even solo pvp but I noticed it starts out with 2 Swords so I was "assuming" it was a semi decent DPS class as well? I also assume it's a dual wield class not a 2hd weapon class also.

Ads
Tom

Post#9 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:17 pm

You have an eye for challenging classes :)
The Disciple (DOK) is very very strong in tier 1 if I remember correctly, then as a DPS moving into the level 16-40 you will find you picked another challenging class... fun, but challenging.

It has a few but very real weaknesses, which you will need to learn to manage/compensate for, (i) you are very easily kited (ii) you have a very high base chance to be critically hit compared to many other classes.
The DOK lacks abilities which all the 'pure' dps classes have such as knockdown, disarm, gap closing charges etc (you have a ranged 20% chance to snare, but it is a weak 20% snare, not the standard 40%) which has been changed to require class mechanic points (nvm that, what it means is you can only use the ability a limited number of times while chasing).

Now to the good side - your melee self, or targeted friend, heal is VERY strong and its a fun and engaging dual wielding class to play despite its weaknesses. The DPS playstyle is very gear dependent and the gear is in my view more cumbersome to acquire - effectively almost nothing gained in RVR zones gives you meaningful equipment (with the exception of end-game gear), its mostly gained from scenarios and PVE.

Can you solo pvp - yes but it may be a brutal challenge after you leave tier 1, until you get high level gear and high renown levels. If you have a tank to duo with, it will be a much smoother journey. Saying this not to discourage, just to be prepared.

If you see yourself playing solo a lot, I would say you will probably find the Blackguard easier since tanks are more forgiving for any small mistakes made. Also be aware, as a DOK you will be heavily targeted. But hey, why not play both!? I do :)

RPGrandPa

Post#10 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:07 pm

lol Well, I see interesting classes and get excited haha

I just do not know the classes which makes choosing rough. I saw the DoK and was like hmmm dual wielding, has heals - WIN! I like Hybrid classes actually, back in Classic Dark Age of Camelot I was one of the more well known "Battle Healers" on the server lol. Sure I wasn't a strong DPS class ;) but I had melee, buffs, and heals + run speed. Was a lot of fun. I guess that is what I saw with the DoK to an extent.

I like having melee, buffs and heals - kind of like a class with a LOT of utility. I guess I need to get out of my Dark Age of Camelot mindset and look at these classes in a WAR PoV.