Recent Topics

Ads

Resource builder attacks and defense checks

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Azarael

Resource builder attacks and defense checks

Post#1 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:49 pm

If an attack which builds resources, such as Radiant Lance, Slice or Cleave Soul is defended, should it still build?

Ads
Qrazy

Re: Resource builder attacks and defense checks

Post#2 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Nope.

boog

Post#3 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:58 pm

No. As much as I would love it I believe it would make certain classes a little OP like melee DoK or WP.
CHSN Wafulz | KBOB Wafuls | IB Waffulz | BG Waffelz | BO Waaaghfulz | SM Waffels

zanthorn

Post#4 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:00 pm

It may depend on if the resource builds from the use of the skill or the "hit" landing.

AS the tool-tip for slice;

builds one bloodlust, which may mean use of that skill builds the bloodlust point not the "hit" of the ability.

Azarael

Post#5 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:02 pm

I know that some careers build resource on cast, like SM/BO and BW/Sorc. I just don't know which ones behave in which way for sure.

Gobtar

Post#6 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:10 pm

In General: For most classes It should, and there is a good reason for it. A BG will hate an enemy for defending an attack just as he would landing one. SMs/BOs use the momentum of their attacks to get a better position, i.e The dance. WE/WHs press the attack, their onslaught of attacks being defended does not but further their conviction or bloodlust, for witch hunters believe that only the guilty defend themselves.
As for balance reasons, resource building takes energy: AP and time in combat, you are spending this in order to achieve a resource you can trade into more useful abilities, spending extra GCDs to build resources because they are being defended makes resource building classes clunky and much more difficult to play.

Ultimately if resource using abilities didn't use said resource when the attack is defended then it would be different (ignoring BWs, as using their resource is not the goal, keeping it is)

That being said I have no idea if Doks or WPs get resource for defended attacks and this could be the exception, since they turn Resouces into healing (for the most part and it's a guaranteed thing)

Penril

Post#7 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:18 pm

1:31 minute. He is at 130 essence and uses Transfer Essence. I think it got parried (UI says something got parried) because he didnt gain the 35 essence TE gives you. So im inclined to say that on Doks (and therefore WPs too?) you dont gain Career Resources if your attack gets blocked/parried.

Im sure you can find videos for all classes that can answer your question. Any class in particular i can help you with?

Click here to watch on YouTube

boog

Post#8 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Gobtar wrote:In General: For most classes It should, and there is a good reason for it. A BG will hate an enemy for defending an attack just as he would landing one. SMs/BOs use the momentum of their attacks to get a better position, i.e The dance. WE/WHs press the attack, their onslaught of attacks being defended does not but further their conviction or bloodlust, for witch hunters believe that only the guilty defend themselves.
As for balance reasons, resource building takes energy: AP and time in combat, you are spending this in order to achieve a resource you can trade into more useful abilities, spending extra GCDs to build resources because they are being defended makes resource building classes clunky and much more difficult to play.

Ultimately if resource using abilities didn't use said resource when the attack is defended then it would be different (ignoring BWs, as using their resource is not the goal, keeping it is)

That being said I have no idea if Doks or WPs get resource for defended attacks and this could be the exception, since they turn Resouces into healing (for the most part and it's a guaranteed thing)
I know SM did not change stances in live if their attack was defended. I remember dying many times to WE's with high parry chance before the command to switch stances was introduced because I could not get out of first stance.

As for BG and IB (since they are mirrored) the IB only gains grudges when it and its Oathfriend are attacked; meanwhile, the BG gains grudges for hitting a target, a target hitting it, and from its dark protector. Also for the most part (perhaps there are more and I am incorrect) BG and IB only have 1 ability that actually builds resources and the BG's is spammable if managed properly where as the IB's requires a block and has a cool down.

If a SM or BO changed plans/stances every attack they did regardless of if it landed the mechanic (and especially the command that lets you change stances/plans) would be rather pointless.

If you are going to make it so BG builds hatred on a defended attack on top of its already resource building advantage it has on IB than you need to change the IB mechanic to be similar to that of BG other wise BG will have an even easier time than they do now building resources.
CHSN Wafulz | KBOB Wafuls | IB Waffulz | BG Waffelz | BO Waaaghfulz | SM Waffels

Ads
Sulorie

Post#9 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:56 pm

AM/Sham gain/lose their mechanic points on cast.
Dying is no option.

Gobtar

Post#10 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:11 pm

boog wrote: I know SM did not change stances in live if their attack was defended. I remember dying many times to WE's with high parry chance before the command to switch stances was introduced because I could not get out of first stance.

As for BG and IB (since they are mirrored) the IB only gains grudges when it and its Oathfriend are attacked; meanwhile, the BG gains grudges for hitting a target, a target hitting it, and from its dark protector. Also for the most part (perhaps there are more and I am incorrect) BG and IB only have 1 ability that actually builds resources and the BG's is spammable if managed properly where as the IB's requires a block and has a cool down.

If a SM or BO changed plans/stances every attack they did regardless of if it landed the mechanic (and especially the command that lets you change stances/plans) would be rather pointless.

If you are going to make it so BG builds hatred on a defended attack on top of its already resource building advantage it has on IB than you need to change the IB mechanic to be similar to that of BG other wise BG will have an even easier time than they do now building resources.

The confusion we might be having i played a BO but my attacks always built builders on my BO.

The reason why they added that mechanic for BO was to jump around your builder so you could CC easier, or start combat in your middle builder since all the CC was higher up the chain. At live SM/BO builders would build regardless of whether it was defended against, so you might be misremembering or died due to lag with the builder. BOs complained that SMs had the edge to get their KD up because of their bubble didn't require an attack but I digress.

The builder for for BG originally was completely selfish, had no dark protector and so only generated hate on attack and being attacked, which IIRC built regardless if the attack was defended against. BG was my least favorite tank and spent the least amount of time playing him, though i never had a problem building grudges on my IB comparatively