Recent Topics

Ads

Regarding Global Cooldowns

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Scottx125

Re: Regarding Global Cooldowns

Post#121 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:09 pm

MedV wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:11 pm Can we switch it to last input not first input as the action going off. I’ve died so many times bec it has to have an ability go off gcd then my pot. Even tho I’ve wanted to drink the pot 1.5 gcds ago. It feels more like a turn based rpg at this point.
I agree, it makes more sense to have the queued ability be the last ability pressed before the queued ability fires. If it's the first it essentially locks you into your next action, so if you accidently miss click or press something when you need a pot. You're screwed.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Ads
kirraha

Post#122 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:56 am

Mgdw wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:29 pm one day : "we dont want to do AoR, stop asking for same content "
next day :" we did this change cause it was like this in AoR !"

fact is : AP are litteraly melting like never on AOR, on every class .. it became frustrating to play right now... and for what ? for bigger plan ? when ?
I kinda agree on this post. The coat has been turned so many times now we don't know which side is in or out anymore.
Not everything in Live was good. Same with Ror. The change on GCD was horrible. It didn't grant the feeling of a smooth gameplay, that still has a lot of bugs and new bugs keeps coming with new patches of content, nobody is interested in. I understand bugs come, but why does it seem to be such a lack of fixing bugs, and at the same time, new pushing on changes keeps adding up.

Hugatsaga

Post#123 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:08 pm

Now that the mail delay fiasco has been rolled back is there any hope that GCD change gets rolled back as well?
Live: Daeneria, Polestar
RoR: Calmdown, Goldman, Kohta, Madguard, Magnumforce, Northsorc, Northstar etc
Youtube

Secrets
Former Staff

Post#124 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:06 pm

Hugatsaga wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:08 pm Now that the mail delay fiasco has been rolled back is there any hope that GCD change gets rolled back as well?
No. I don't think the GCD change is not being rolled back as it results in a more smooth, consistent gameplay compared to GCDs firing at will depending on a player's ping. The GCD as it functioned before would allow for 'random' AP ticks dependent on the player's ping to the server. There was also a bug day 1 of the GCD change that was resolved by day 7, so if you log in and actually play the game, you may notice your complaint to be resolved already instead of being a forum warrior about it.

I think you may disagree with the AP change specifically, not the GCD change, and if you look at live videos, there is zero AP recovery when not pausing for an entire GCD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1gY0fqShX

The mail system now works as it did on live, so that won't be reverted either.

The 'mail fiasco' was simply code that needed to be fixed. Fun fact: before the change, about 3% of player-sent mail sent through the system was lost entirely as it was unreliable.

I don't think the dev team has any intent of changing these core systems as they now function as live did. I'm not them, though. The devs could change that at any point. I will always defend systems that have evidence from 12 years ago that they should function a specific way on live that would be a net benefit, as live had pretty much better gameplay mechanics in some ways; this is one of them.

Rufert

Post#125 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:40 pm

Hm. It certainly feels to me like it has been removed, the game is way too spammy for me as is.
I'm pretty sure there was a drop down originally where you could chose how long you wanted the ability queueing to be. With I think 1 or 2 seconds as the options.

Hugatsaga

Post#126 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:05 am

Secrets wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:06 pm
Hugatsaga wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:08 pm Now that the mail delay fiasco has been rolled back is there any hope that GCD change gets rolled back as well?
No. I don't think the GCD change is not being rolled back as it results in a more smooth, consistent gameplay compared to GCDs firing at will depending on a player's ping. The GCD as it functioned before would allow for 'random' AP ticks dependent on the player's ping to the server. There was also a bug day 1 of the GCD change that was resolved by day 7, so if you log in and actually play the game, you may notice your complaint to be resolved already instead of being a forum warrior about it.

I think you may disagree with the AP change specifically, not the GCD change, and if you look at live videos, there is zero AP recovery when not pausing for an entire GCD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1gY0fqShX

The 'mail fiasco' was simply code that needed to be fixed. Fun fact: before the change, about 3% of player-sent mail sent through the system was lost entirely as it was unreliable.

I don't think the dev team has any intent of changing these core systems as they now function as live did. I'm not them, though. The devs could change that at any point. I will always defend systems that have evidence from 12 years ago that they should function a specific way on live that would be a net benefit, as live had pretty much better gameplay mechanics in some ways; this is one of them.
Thanks for the reply and explanation. Can't hate the effort of making the game more fair for low-ping players. That being said, I did play for a while even after AP-drought was fixed but for me the problem was really the GCD change: It slows down gameplay especially for melee classes which tend to fire back-to-back instant cast abilities between GCD's (around 30% downtime increase due GCD change if my math is correct) so now game feels slow and sluggish compared to before. It's like being used to drive fast and now being forced to slow down. As a result it naturally increased TTK (good luck with bursting down well-looked-after slayers with Stoutness of Stone now) and had significant effect on balance between classes and different specs (everything else is nerfed while channels stay the same).

Dalen said that the change actually fixed the balance between channels and insta-casts but I'm pretty sure channeled abilities were already balanced (intentionally or not, at least end result was pretty well balanced) with 1,1 gcd in mind since many of them were really strong even before. For instance WE ruthless assault - bleeding edge spec was already on par with witchbrew spec (or arguably a bit better at least in ranked) before the change. Now theres no question which one is better.

Current ability queue system that got introduced at the same time made the change even more annoying but there has been good suggestions for fixing that (make it about last input instead of first if possible).
Youtube

Haojin

Post#127 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:20 am

Hugatsaga wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:05 am
Secrets wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:06 pm

Thanks for the reply and explanation. Can't hate the effort of making the game more fair for low-ping players. That being said, I did play for a while even after AP-drought was fixed but for me the problem was really the GCD change: It slows down gameplay especially for melee classes which tend to fire back-to-back instant cast abilities between GCD's (around 30% downtime increase due GCD change if my math is correct) so now game feels slow and sluggish compared to before. It's like being used to drive fast and now being forced to slow down. As a result it naturally increased TTK (good luck with bursting down well-looked-after slayers with Stoutness of Stone now) and had significant effect on balance between classes and different specs (everything else is nerfed while channels stay the same).

Dalen said that the change actually fixed the balance between channels and insta-casts but I'm pretty sure channeled abilities were already balanced (intentionally or not, at least end result was pretty well balanced) with 1,1 gcd in mind since many of them were really strong even before. For instance WE ruthless assault - bleeding edge spec was already on par with witchbrew spec (or arguably a bit better at least in ranked) before the change. Now theres no question which one is better.

Current ability queue system that got introduced at the same time made the change even more annoying but there has been good suggestions for fixing that (make it about last input instead of first if possible).
it's mind blowing that nobody gives a single **** about channels being buffed heavly.

with the new 1.5 sec gcd, every channel ticks under 1.5 seconds (most likely all of them) will be countered by %30-35 slower heals. when you prebuff your channels with abilities/morales, it's already rip for the healers.

not mentioning that how many abilities you were able to cast under certain buffs/morales before the change. many of the buffs/morales nerfed by %30 with the change, wonder if they ever going to fine tuning the stuff for the new GCD. to sum up;

-every channel tick under 1.5 seconds should be increased.
-every buff/morale duration times should be increased. (mostly the ones ≤10)
Guildmaster of Phalanx

K8P - Karak Norn

Sinisterror

Post#128 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:17 pm

"The GCD on both AoR and RoR is 1.15 seconds. We know this is the case because the client allows abilities to be used 1.15s into the displayed 1.5s GCD as long as you get your timing right. If you invoke the ability too early, it will be blocked until the 1.5s GCD is up.

We previously had the server enforce the 1.5s GCD hard, and it resulted in client casts being cancelled." - Aza

Im pretty sure AoR allowed abilities to be used at 1.15s you just had to time it right. If GCD stays like this there is many things that should be off GCD. Things like pots/morales/challenges/taunts/detaunts etc. And many IB buffs come to mind as well.
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

Ads
NSKaneda

Post#129 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:26 pm

Before GCD change one could weave skill animations seamlessly, right now there's visible gap between each skill and frankly combat feels like fast-paced turn play (use skill, gap, use another skill, gap, try to use a skill to react to opponent action and fail, gap, etc).
While mdps and tanks are not really affected by it healers and casters get their cast-times interrupted way more often, rdps reaction time window is significantly narrower and last but not least Winds of Magic (skill sequence executed without errors or gaps resulting in seamless animation loop and audible sound effect) are no longer blowing since it's impossible now to loop animations without gaps.

All in all I'm not a fan because it feels like intentional slowing down of combat pace.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Hugatsaga

Post#130 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:35 pm

Sinisterror wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:17 pm "The GCD on both AoR and RoR is 1.15 seconds. We know this is the case because the client allows abilities to be used 1.15s into the displayed 1.5s GCD as long as you get your timing right. If you invoke the ability too early, it will be blocked until the 1.5s GCD is up.

We previously had the server enforce the 1.5s GCD hard, and it resulted in client casts being cancelled." - Aza

Im pretty sure AoR allowed abilities to be used at 1.15s you just had to time it right. If GCD stays like this there is many things that should be off GCD. Things like pots/morales/challenges/taunts/detaunts etc. And many IB buffs come to mind as well.
Hmm interesting. My memory is hazy but thats probably something that can be solved from live videos. Can slow down and stopwatch some live vid later. For now I can say that at least in this vid BW can fire off next scorched earth way before "gcd meter" in the action bar goes back to full/12'o clock position.
Youtube