Recent Topics

Ads

Texture Normal Mapping

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
saupreusse
Developer

Texture Normal Mapping

Post#1 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:34 am

I hope this is the right forum for this topic :?:
Just have a question to the devs: Is it possible to create normal maps for warhammer?
As I was browsing the game texture files, i saw some specular maps which are most used for shiny heavy armor or shields.
But I couldn't find a single normal map. Maybe I'm just blind or does the game really not use any normal maps?

Ads
greenstoned

Re: Texture Normal Mapping

Post#2 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:26 pm

i do modeling myself, and normal maps is the stuff to get god looking graphics while keeping a low poly count. as far as it is concerned here tho, i think its prolly a matter of game engine, altho im not sure. not every game engine can handle normal maps, and not that many games from the time around war's realease had em
AM - Greendreams
SW - Experiment

saupreusse
Developer

Post#3 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:26 pm

hmm yeah thats exactly why i am asking. would be nice if one of the devs would say somth :) daanaa told me it would be possible ( maybe). (he's not that much into texturing :P).
War uses DirectX9 (D3D9) so there should be no problem from this point of view...
And if it is possible, we could form a team that could try to implement some nice normal maps.
The graphics would be so much better without much performance cost. And its much more easier to create a normal map than reworking a texture imo. (though some textures could need a rework, but I suck at it)

saupreusse
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:02 pm

I mean look at it :) this took me 30 seconds... and it looks much better with a normal map attached to it. It is the floor texture of the brightwizard academy in emp city. If its possible to throw dem normal maps into the game I would gladly help making some.

Edit: I only used Freeware to create this normal map.
-Adobe Photoshop Cs2 (yes it is free, you can download it for free on the adobe website, but you must create an acc)
-Nvidia Texture Tools Plugin for PS CS"X" (https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-tex ... -photoshop)
I know there are a lot of ways to create normals, but this one is pretty fast and easy to use.
And if normal mapping is not working, maybe bump mapping would. need an answer! :idea:

greenstoned

Post#5 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:30 pm

atm its more of a hobby for me, waiting on answers from different schools to see if i can get in a serious program to make a career out of it stating in august, but im more of a modeler than a texture artist, so im more used to applying em to objects and char models than ground textures and such

i usually use zbrush to bake my normal maps, import a low poly model from 3dsmax divide it sculpt it bake a normal map and then export back to 3dsmax for rendering
AM - Greendreams
SW - Experiment

redcloud

Post#6 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:40 pm

ekhm....
"Only customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download."

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/ ... loads.html

There's still the Gimp :) .
Ont he other hand I like the way this game is going. Players want to improve it! LOVE IT!!

saupreusse
Developer

Post#7 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:01 pm

redcloud wrote:ekhm....
"Only customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download."

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/ ... loads.html

There's still the Gimp :) .
Ont he other hand I like the way this game is going. Players want to improve it! LOVE IT!!
im sure its free cause I just downloaded it today. i dont think they changed it in the past few hours. :P
But I need someone to teach me how to put the modded files into the game.

PartizanRUS

Post#8 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:54 pm

I think they can't add Normal maps because they need to recode engine's renderer(of the client) to add bump mapping support. To do that they will need source code and I doubt you can hack this things up. So it could be we're stuck with this graphic until someone will steal source code from EA :]
Burn heretics and mutants, purge the unclean. ingame - Partizan . Hammer of Sigmar guild [RUS]
Image https://i.imgur.com/Un7WASp.jpg Image Image

Ads
saupreusse
Developer

Post#9 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:45 pm

PartizanRUS wrote:I think they can't add Normal maps because they need to recode engine's renderer(of the client) to add bump mapping support. To do that they will need source code and I doubt you can hack this things up. So it could be we're stuck with this graphic until someone will steal source code from EA :]
and thats exactly why i asked here. im still waiting for an answer of one of the devs.
As I said: Daanaa thinks it works. ^^

saupreusse
Developer

Post#10 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:04 pm

well, i found it out myself! IT IS POSSIBLE! normal maps must be named filename_normal.
should work in theory, wasnt able to try it out though. looking forward to do so in time.