Recent Topics

Ads

The Quiet Majority says hello

Come and tell us about yourself.
No better way to be part of the community than starting with a brief hello.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Nosks67

The Quiet Majority says hello

Post#1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:24 am

Hi. Thank you to all the devs that have kept this project alive. So much fun to re-live the OldWorld in MMO format. Their time and effort...without pay...absolutely amazes me.

Not sure what brought me to the forums, as I've personally despised any form of anonymous online discussions for a long time now (1993 or so). After reading the recent week's drama, it only reinforced why I almost always stay away.

It reminds me of a quote from an industry developer that I've always respected.

"That’s why I don’t want to have official forums. Whether it was SOE, Blizzard or us, official or semi-official forums are exactly like I described above for every successful MMORPG that I have played or watched from afar (and that is *most* of them). The unsuccessful ones were even worse. The problem is that most people who read the boards are looking for information and a reasonable number of people want to cause trouble, “grief” the forums or simply get their jollies by saying and doing things that they wouldn’t do in real life. As usual, a small percentage of people make life more difficult for everyone else…” – Mark Jacobs

Ads
Telen
Suspended

Re: The Quiet Majority says hello

Post#2 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:24 am

"simply get their jollies by saying and doing things that they wouldn’t do in real life"
Extra ironic from an mmo designer. I like Jacobs but he always came across as not really understanding modern gamers and thinks they should all be like 1980s D&D roleplayers. Not really liking your audience is never a good thing for a designer. Something I think Blizzard has always excelled at and Eve pretty much gave griefers a role in their game world, so no need to grief on their forums.

Feru
Suspended

Re: The Quiet Majority says hello

Post#3 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:58 am

"simply get their jollies by saying and doing things that they wouldn’t do in real life"

i like to think that grimir and torque enjoys some bar fist fights to release the "steam" while aza stays in the back with the balance team taking notes :)